Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Rotary vs. Roundabout vs. Traffic Circle

Rotary
noun
5. Chiefly Northeastern U.S., traffic circle.
Roundabout
noun
6. Chiefly British, traffic circle.
Traffic Circle
noun
A circular arrangement constructed at the intersection of two or more roads in order to facilitate the passage of vehicles from one road to another.

Sunday, UK

On the way to the airport the directions said to take M62 Signposted Liverpool. But that's not the way it is: M62 is signposted Leeds, Manchester, Etc; M58 is signposted Liverpool. So I choose Liverpool because I knew that's where the airport is, but that was wrong. I guess the airport is at a corner of Liverpool best reached by going around it. It was especially nerve-racking because there is another airport in Manchester, and it is posted for maybe 20 miles before the Liverpool airport is posted, so I thought maybe the guy who gave me directions mixed up his airports.

And by then it was dark. I even got off the motorway again when I saw another service sign, but then at the roundabout about I couldn't see the service station; I would have had to travel down another motorway, so I just got right back on the one I was on. Then soon enough the Liverpool Airport signs began, and I rejoiced!

Then came the mystery roundabout. I exited the M62, I think that's where it was. The first exit is signposted to keep going for the airport. But then there is no signpost for "exit here for the airport" or even A561 or whatever it was. I went around three times trying to find A561 painted on the road. Luckily there wasn't any traffic. But then on my third lap there was traffic, multiple cars began honking at me and I was forced out of the roundabout. But then as soon as I got off I saw a sign for Liverpool airport. Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment