Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Maiden Voyage

Idioms & Phrases
maiden voyage 
The first experience, as in This tennis tournament is my maiden voyage in statewide competition. This term, originally meaning the first voyage of a ship, was first recorded in 1901, but the use of maiden to signify "the first time" dates from the mid-1500s. 

The maiden voyage of this blog is actually a sort of maiden voyage of my own: I'm going to England for the first time. This is at a time when I'm teaching five private English classes a week and talking to a couple more individuals about beginning classes. I wouldn't want to leave all of you hanging for twelve days.

I've created this to keep in touch while I'm away, but if it turns out to be valuable I hope we can continue to make use of it as an extra English resource you can visit when you're feeling ambitious (or bored).

No comments:

Post a Comment