Friday, February 15, 2013

Pie

Pie
noun
A baked food having a filling of fruit, meat, pudding, etc., prepared in a pastry-lined pan or dish and often topped with a pastry crust: apple pie; meat pie. 

Friday, UK

I had a sandwich for lunch. Maynard came home and asked me if I'd eaten anything, and I told him of my sandwich. Well, he said, I brought back some pie if you're interested.

I said, Sure, that sounds great! (I mean, who doesn't like a little dessert?)

Little did I know in the UK pie is typically meat pie; in the US it is never meat pie unless you specifically use the word meat pie. Did not realize this until my first bite was already moving towards my mouth.

So I ate two lunches.

But I did work it off. We drove out to the second highest hill in the region, 476 yards high. And we climbed it all the way to the top, with only a few stops  along the way for photos. We were so high the car was no longer visible--I thought it would at least be an ant-sized-speck. It might have just been behind a roll in the hill.

We then drove around the countryside, including up to a mine for tea. The mine tea house is pretty neat, total stonework inside, but not to make it look like a castle; everything from slate, pretty much, piled high.

There in the tea house at Ieva's suggestion I ate the mintiest thing I ever tasted besides a mint: Romney's Kendal Mint Cake


Homework
Write a comment about the mintiest thing you've ever tasted.
OR
Next time you're offered pie, say, Is it meat pie?

No comments:

Post a Comment